Friday, August 7, 2009

The Green Hornet finds its Kato

Image courtesy of DynamiteEntertainment.com

Well, after the Stephen Chow fall out and the ensuing search, Michel Gondry/Seth Rogen/Evan Goldberg's The Green Hornet has its Kato to Rogen's Green Hornet. There's probably not too many Americans familiar with Taiwanese star (music and film) Jay Chou, but Wikipedia has quite a bit on the guy if you're so inclined to read more.

In a press release from Columbia-TriStar, Michel Gondry said, Jay is incredibly unique and charming and fights like a wild dog! When I filmed him next to Seth they had such great chemistry, and I knew the movie will be great."

Chou had this to say:

“It’s an overwhelming experience to take on a role made famous by Bruce Lee. I won’t try to be Bruce Lee’s Kato – I will try to bring my own interpretation to the part. Of course, it’s a dream role, and I’m looking forward to the challenge.”


Interested to see how this flick shapes up. I'm not 100 percent convinced that I can buy Rogen as a superhero, even one that will presumably have a humorous bent to him. But I've enjoyed Rogen/Goldberg's script work on Superbad and Pineapple Express for the most part, and am a shameless dupe for Gondry when he's in fighting form.

Gondry's last feature, Be Kind Rewind, was a Gawd-awful mess, but his most recent film work, the opening segment of Tokyo!, Interior Design, was phenomenal. (To check out my DVD review of Tokyo!, click here.)

His name definitely came as a shock when it was announced as The Green Hornet's replacement for Chow (who was originally slated as director and actor), but it was a pleasurable shock, to be sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment